This delicious, healthy homemade honey mustard salad dressing is made from scratch using all-natural ingredients.
Once upon a time, back when my husband and I were newly married, we were invited to have dinner with my sister-in-law’s family. They made a lovely meal and we sat and enjoyed each others company. And then someone brought out a jar of some kind of yellow salad dressing as an extra option to top off the salad we were eating. I remember giving it a try and falling in love instantly.
A few weeks later we found out we were pregnant with our first baby (yay!) and it wasn’t too long before the intense pregnancy cravings set it. And I mean reeeeaaally intense. I would lie in bed each night, nautious as could be, and daydream about the obsession of the day. Like, the one and only food that sounded appetizing and that I absolutely had to have. Tacos! Pad Thai! Popsicles! Asparagus! One night that sweet and tangy, yellow dressing floated to the front of my mind. I neeeeeded it.
The next day I sheepishly texted my sister in law and asked for the recipe. She replied: “THAT DRESSING!!!” and described how she was equally obsessed. She graciously gave me the recipe and I’ve been making it just about weekly ever since. Over the years I’ve tweaked it a little bit and made it for friends here and there. Without fail, people always ask for the recipe. It’s just one of those universally awesome dressings. The best part? It’s completely homemade from all natural, healthy ingredients!
So without further adeiu, I give to you the best salad dressing ever, thanks to my sister-in-law, Alexis.
all natural ingredients
Tons of store-bought salad dressings taste good, but aren’t filled with the best ingredients. I’ve heard lots of people say they like to eat salads, but they tend not to because salad dressings are so unhealthy. That can definitely be true with a store-bought dressing. However, making salad dressing from scratch can actually make your salad very healthy, so long as you use high-quality, all-natural ingredients.
This healthy homemade honey mustard salad dressing uses only natural ingredients so you can get your greens in guilt-free.
- avocado oil: This salad dressing starts with avocado oil as the base. You can also use olive oil, but I like the taste best with avocado oil. Both of these oils are high in Omega-3s and are healthy fats thats will keep you satiated.
- red wine vinegar: This gives the dressing its tangy flavor and balances out the oil.
- mustard: Use organic mustard from the bottle. This is where that vibrant, yellow color comes from.
- honey: I love to use raw, local honey. This gives the dressing it’s sweetness and creamy consistency. Just be sure not to feed the honey (or this dressing) to children under the age of one.
- garlic: Add in a few cloves of raw, immune-boosting garlic. Once we blend the dressing, the garlic will lose its bite.
- sea salt: Redmond Real Salt is our family’s very favorite salt. It balances out the flavor and adds so many healthy, natural minerals.
how to use honey mustard salad dressing:
At our house, the most common use for this dressing is to top a healping bed of lettuce. We love making salads with fresh organic greens, diced avocado, sliced strawberries, fresh blueberries, and sprouted pumpkin seeds. This sweet and vinaigrette-style dressing pairs beautifully with the bits of fruit in the salad.
We also like to use this dressing to dip homemade paleo chicken tenders in, or chopped raw veggies, like carrots and celery.
how long does honey mustard salad dressing store?
You can store this dressing in the fridge for up to two weeks. I like to make it in a mason jar with an immersion blender. Then I just top the jar with a lid and store it in the fridge. I alwasy make a double or triple batch so we have enough to last us at least a few days (we go through this stuff fast at our house!)
tools needed to make honey mustard salad dressing:
- A hand-held immersion blender or regular blender
- A 32-oz mason jar to blend in with the immersion blender
- A mason jar lid to top the jar and store the dressing in the fridge
- Measuring spoons and cups
how to make the salad dressing:
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar or to a blender.
- Blend ingredients in the mason jar with a hand-held immersion blender or blend all ingredients in the blender. Continue to blend until all ingredients are well blended and the dressing has a smooth consistency.
- Serve dressing over your favorite salad, or as a dip for chicken or veggies.
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard (from the bottle)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients to a 32 oz mason jar or to a blender.
- Blend ingredients with a hand-held immersion blender or in the blender until smooth.
- Serve over mixed greens or as a dipping sauce for chicken or veggies. Enjoy!
Additional add-ins: For an Italian twist, add 1 teaspoon italian seasoning before blending.
I hope you try this recipe and it becomes a family favorite for you as well! Have you tried making salad dressing from scratch before? Let me know in the comments below!